Authentic German Potato Salad
Serves : 8
- 3 pounds medium red potatoes
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, sauté onion until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper until blended. Gradually add the sugar, vinegar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices. Add potatoes and bacon to the skillet; cook and stir gently over low heat until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm.