(German Roasted Almonds)
Serves : 10
- 2 cups cane (or regular) sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons quality pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups raw almonds
- Place all the ingredients except for the almonds in a heavy, well-seasoned cast iron pan or non-stick pan. Bring it to a boil until the sugar melts.
- Add the almonds and reduce the heat to medium-high. Stir the almonds continually. The process will take about 20-25 minutes as the sugar caramelizes, crystalizes, becomes dry and powdery and then melts.
- Once the sugar dries and becomes powdery (don’t panic, this is supposed to happen!), reduce the heat to medium to prevent burning.
- Stir constantly until the sugar begins to melt, stirring to coat the almonds with the melted sugar. Once the sugar is mostly melted and the almonds are rough and bumpy, they are done.