Holiday Mulled Wine (Gluhwein)
- 3 star anise pods
- 3 allspice berries
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 large orange
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 bottles of fruity red wine
- 1 1/2 c. brandy or Grand Marnier
- 1 c. whole dried figs
- 1 c. chopped dried apricots
- 1 c. dried cherries
- 1 c. dried, pitted, and chopped prunes
- 3 hibiscus flowers (optional, for garnish)
- Cheesecloth and butcher’s twine
- Making the sachet:
Place a large square of cheesecloth on the cutting board.
Add the star anise, allspice berries, peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks directly to the center.
Tie up the cheesecloth with the twine to make a small package and set aside.
- To make the spiced wine:
Take the orange and stud it with the cloves.
In a large pot (not aluminum) over medium heat, add the sachet, clove-studded orange, wine, and brandy.
Stir to combine.
Then add all the dried fruit.
Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until the wine begins to simmer.
Reduce heat to low; simmer until flavors have melded, about 30 minutes
- To serve
Ladle out the spiced wine and some fruit to each glass.
Garnish with hibiscus flowers, if desired.